Mold is a nasty fungus that grows on plants and fibers. It is typically associated with damp, dark, musty locations such as basements, bathrooms, and attics. If you are a landlord, tenant, or employer, finding mold is a very unwelcome thing.
Not only is mold dangerous to both health and home structure, it is also an indicator of a moisture problem. For this reason, it is important that you contact a mold remediation specialist at the first sight of mold.
Here are a few facts that you may want to understand about the mold growing within your home or business:
- Airborne mold spores exist both indoors and outdoors.
- The most dangerous indoor molds are Alternaria, Aspergillus, Chaetomium, Cladosporium, Stachybotrys, Fusarium, Mucor, and Penicillium.
- Molds spores, even dead or dormant ones can cause serious health problems.
- It is not possible to completely get rid of all mold spores inside your home. There will always be some level of mold spore existence in the air and in dust.
- The mold spores in your home will be unable to grow into mold colonies if there is insufficient moisture.
- Mold growth occurs as it eats and destroys organic building materials and other cellulose-based materials such as carpeting, upholstery, and clothing.
- Cellulose is the main substance in the cell walls of plants and it is used in the manufacture of many organic building materials such as the drywall, plasterboard, plywood substitutes, and ceiling tiles within your home.
- The mold in your home can grow undetected for a long period of time. Just some areas you might find hidden mold are: inside the walls, ceiling cavities, under wallpaper, beneath wallpaper, paneling, and carpeting; and inside heating and cooling equipment and ducts, attics, crawl spaces, and basements.
- The growth of mold is typically the result of a structural or construction defect, or of maintenance neglect.
- In order to fix the mold problem, you must first fix the water problem (roof leak, plumbing leak, high indoor humidity) that is causing the mold to grow.
If you own a home or business or are renting one, it is important to take the necessary steps to keep the mold out. It can cause a great deal of damage and cost a great deal of money to fix! Call MoldEaters today to catch it early!
Click here to read more about our mold remediation services in Vancouver WA.