Mold is everywhere. Some we see, but most we don’t.
Mold is part of the Fungi Kingdom, which includes mildews, mushrooms, shelf fungus, rusts and smuts (which usually attack plants). There are thousands of varieties of mold. What we usually see are the mold colonies, made up of thousands, or more likely, millions of tiny individual fungi. Because the individual features are microscopic, exact identification is typically a job for a trained laboratory technician.
Mold’s job is to spread, breakdown and destroy.
Mold spores are everywhere. Part of nature’s decaying process, mold’s job is to aid in the breaking down of organic material. Like a seed, a mold spore needs water and food to grow, but since it is a fungus, rather than a plant, it can thrive without any sunlight. A moisture leak in your home can provide the water and wood, paper, dust, skin flakes, or any organic material may become a food source for mold. As the mold colony grows, it sends out millions of tiny airborne spores to grow on other parts of your home. Mold can attach itself to and grow on almost anything.
Molds are tough. They fight to survive and do their job.
Some molds produce dangerous toxins under certain conditions as a defense mechanism. Toxic gases and spores can be produced when the mold is disturbed by changes in temperature or humidity. There can be high levels of toxic spores present even if there are no visible signs or odors. Some of the most dangerous varieties of mold found in homes are:
Aspergillus Basidiospore Curvularia Ascospore Penicillium Stachybotrys (Pictured above, often called “Black Mold”) Cladosporium
Symptoms of mold toxicity include:
|• Respiratory ailments• Sinus problems• Rashes• Headaches• Burning or itchy eyes||• Allergies• Memory loss• Fatigue or dizziness• Flu-like symptoms• Hair loss|
Children, the elderly, and anyone with immune sensitivities are most at risk from the effects of mold. For more information on the health concerns caused by mold, visit the Centers for Disease Control Website at www.cdc.gov/mold. If you suffer from any of the symptoms of mold reactions, or if you see any visible signs of mold in your home, you should have your home inspected and tested.
Find out how MoldEaters can solve your mold problems cleanly and safely, with minimal disruption to your home and life by calling 1.866.926.MOLD (1.866.926.6653).